Ghost Town on the River

Louisville, Kentucky, USA

Defunct, Operated from 1905 to 5/4/1969

Parks nearby
Maps

Defunct Roller Coasters (6)

PicturesNameTypeDesignOpenedClosed
CometWoodSit Down19515/25/1976
Little CometSteelSit Down5/25/1976
Loop The LoopWoodSit Down1905
Racing DerbyWoodSit Down19101936
Scenic RailwayWoodSit Down1905
Velvet RacerWoodSit Down19361951

Details

Former names:Fontaine Ferry Park (1905 to 5/4/1969)
Former status:Operated from 1972 to 5/25/1976
Operated from 1905 to 5/4/1969
Fan web sites:Memories of Fontaine Ferry Park
Location:A public park called Shawnee Park exists on the site today and footers from the Comet can still be found.
History:On May 4th 1969, the park's opening day for the season, a riot broke out and many building and food stands were destroyed.  Workers were attacked and the park was looted.  It took 25 police to restore order and cost the park $18,000.  The park remained closed until 1972 when it reopened as Ghost Town on the River.  Many of the parks former buildings and rides were used.  On May 25th 1976 a fire broke out destroying the gate and penny arcade.  Many other fires started as a result.  The park never reopened and was auctioned off.
Notes:In the 1930s when the park was known as Fontaine Ferry Park, the park may have had a triple tracked racing roller coaster.  There is a great deal of conflicting information on this as well as no mention of a triple tracked roller coaster in several books about Fontaine Ferry Park.
Home
Home
Menu
Twitter
Preferences
Close

Ghost Town on the River (Louisville, Kentucky, USA)

Close
Tip: Click near sides of the picture to navigate.


Close

  • Date
  • Views
  • Rating

by
views
Close
Reports
New for 2015
New for 2014
New for 2013
Census
Record Holders
Inversions
Search
Roller Coasters
Amusement Parks
Companies
People
More
Glossary
About This Site
Contact Us
Close
Preferences
Language:
Measure:
Date format:
Bling level: