The Big Dipper was modified in 1936 by Charlie Paige and Joe Emberton. The original layout made a greater than 90° bend where the small bend under the Big One is today. It extended east to where Space Invader is today roughly following the route of the Big One's lift hill and station. At that time this was bordering the southern edge of the park. When the land to the south was acquired, the Big Dipper made use of this land as demonstrated by the present layout.